(Updated as we receive new information)
As Westchester residents deal with the new normal we all face, several events in Westchester County Parks’ annual Cultural Heritage Celebrations series have been cancelled due to the ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
County Executive George Latimer said: “These are some of my favorite events to attend, but right now, we all must put safety first. The Cultural Heritage series is something many of us look forward to, both to celebrate our own personal heritage or to enjoy learning about the food, music, dance and heritage of other cultures that contribute to the great mosaic of Westchester’s population – things that cannot be done while keeping a safe distance.”
Each year, thousands of Westchester residents gather at these colorful and lively festivals at Kensico Dam Plaza in Valhalla and Ridge Road Park in Hartsdale. These celebrations, of all heritages, attract far too many residents to abide by safety guidelines handed down the National Center for Disease Control and New York State.
Latest Postponed or Cancelled Events in Westchester
- Glen Island Harbour Club bookings through May 10.
- Camping reservations at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation through May 31.
- Clearwater Community Celebration, June 20 and 21.
- All events, programs and bookings at the County Center through the summer
- Irish Heritage Festival, Ridge Road Park, Saturday, June 27.
- African American Heritage Festival, Kensico Dam Plaza, Sunday, June 28.
- Summer Music Camp, County Center, June 29 – August 7
- Slam Dunk Basketball Camp, County Center, July 6 – 31
- REI classes at Sprain Ridge Park.
- Due to the cancellation of Fleet Week no military aircraft will be available for landing at Playland on Veterans Appreciation Day, May 24.
- Westchester Climate Change Youth Summit, March 11
- Department of Community Mental Health CODA Youth Summit, March 12
- WOW Conversations, March 13
- Friends of Marshlands Annual Meeting, March 15
- Airport Master Plan Public Open House, March 19
- The 22nd annual YouthFest on Sunday is cancelled
- Polish Heritage Festival – Kensico Dam Plaza, Sunday, May 17
- Asian Heritage Festival – Kensico Dam Plaza, Saturday, June 6
- Albanian Heritage Festival – Kensico Dam Plaza, Sunday, June 7
- Portuguese Heritage Festival – Ridge Road Park, Sunday, June 7
- Irish Heritage Festival – Ridge Road Park, Saturday, June 27
- African American Heritage Festival – Kensico Dam Plaza, Sunday, June 28
- Hispanic Heritage Festival – Kensico Dam Plaza, Sunday, July 12
Festivals on hold are:
- Italian Heritage Festival – Kensico Dam Plaza, Sunday, July 19
- Heritage of India Festival – Kensico Dam Plaza, Sunday, Aug. 2
- Ecuadorian Festival – Croton Point Park, Sunday, Aug. 9
- Jewish Heritage Festival – Kensico Dam Plaza, Sunday, Aug. 16
- Muslim Heritage Festival – Kensico Dam Plaza, Sunday Aug. 23
- Golf courses – The six golf courses owned by Westchester County and the driving ranges at the courses are temporarily closed until further notice, per New York State policy; restaurants remain closed with exception of Maple Moor noted above.
- Miniature Golf Courses
- Glen Island Park (COVID-19 drive-through testing area)
- Glen Island Harbour Club
- Dunwoodie, Maple Moor (see clarification above), Mohansic, Sprain, Saxon Woods, Hudson Hills golf courses restaurants/take out service
- Westchester County Center
- West parking lot at Westchester County Center
- Playland Ice Casino
- Westchester Children’s Museum at Playland
- Lasdon Park and Arboretum – building and indoor features. Grounds are open.
- Nature Center buildings and Ward Pound Ridge Reservation office (grounds open)
- Muscoot indoor spaces. Grounds are open.
- Permit Office for in-person visits at 450 Saw Mill River Road, Ardsley. The Permit Office will be open for
phone calls at (914) 231-4575 during regular business hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. No new reservations being taken through the end of April.
- Playgrounds, ballfields, tractor at Muscoot, “The Rising” September 11th memorial at Kensico Dam
Plaza and other outdoor features where children and/or adults congregate
- Basketball courts at V.E. Macy Park and Tibbetts Brook Park
- Tennis Courts at Tibbetts Brook Park
- Pavilion at V.E. Macy Park
- Boat Launching at George’s Island (park is open), Glen Island (park is closed).
- Pitch in for Parks – from Saturday, April 25 to Saturday, Oct. 17
- Playland Opening Day has been postponed. Plans for the season will be announced as soon as possible.
- Westchester Magazine’s Wine and Food Festival – Party on the Pier at Playland from Wednesday, June 10 to Wednesday, Sept. 23. Burger & Beer Blast at Kensico Dam Plaza from Thursday, June 11 to Thursday, Sept. 24; Grand Tasting Village at Kensico Dam Plaza from Saturday June 13 to Saturday, Sept. 26.
Any additional cancellations, postponements or rescheduling will be posted at parks.westchestergov.com.