What Is The Genius of Play™ Month?
A month-long celebration of play championed by The Genius of Play, an initiative by The Toy Association. The main goal of the celebration is to draw attention of the media and general public, especially parents, to the importance and benefits of play for child development. The first-ever annual celebration will take place in May 2019 under the theme “Play All May”.
Why Do We Need a Special Celebration of Play?
While there are dozens of other “months” honoring various initiatives and causes, there has never been one designated specifically for Play. And yet play is absolutely critical to healthy child development. The American Academy of Pediatrics recently issued a clinical report asking pediatricians to write kids “prescription for play”. We will keep the momentum going by spearheading the first-ever month of play – because play IS serious and deserves to be celebrated!
There are multiple tactics in place to make our first-ever celebration of play a success, including:
• April 1: New Public Service Announcement campaign launches to television stations nationally
• April 25: Upcoming Genius of Play Month is announced at a press conference in NYC
• April 30: Satellite media tour with a spokesperson from The Genius of Play
• May 1: Press release followed by a targeted outreach to top media outlets and TV stations
• May 1-31: Influencer posts on social media promote the celebration of play
• May 1-31: Daily giveaways on social media
Following along on social media using #GeniusofPlay and check out more onThe Genius of Play